Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 340 of 365

I have a feeling that very very soon, I will start to pay for my raisin' as my granny used to say. I am the mother of an 11 year old girl...or as she likes to say 11 AND A HALF. That being said, she is currently bringing along all that being 11 entails. Mood swings, hormones, she's up, she's down. Yep, we are about to be the proud parents of a teenager. I remember those days of not knowing which way was up. Being on the verge of tears and having absolutely no idea why. Laughing up a storm one minute, then feeling like you want the world to disappear and take you with it the next. That is what we are starting. Now granted, she does have some real issues she is dealing with, and those are private so I will not be sharing them here, however much of it is just her changing body. What can a mom do? I just wrap my arms around her sweet self and remind her that she is not the first girl to ever feel like this, nor will she be the last. I also remind her that we love her, cherish her and will be here through all of the changes.

Being in the midst of all this is bringing up memories of that time for me. On that dastardly day when I started my period (12 years 6 months and 4 days old, July 4 1985), my mom was in the middle of one of many periods of depression. I had pretty much zero support in the area of what was going on with my body. I will not let that happen to my angel girl. If anything, I probably over compensate in the area of making sure she knows what is going on with her. At least she is aware that I am here and am not going anywhere. She also knows that she can bring any question to me at all and she will get an honest and very open answer. I have NOT always been the best mother, but I think I am making up for that. So glad that the judge agreed that a daughter belongs with her mother at this formative time.

No comments:

Post a Comment