Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 335 of 365

Our lives are filled with memorable dates. Some of them are sad dates for us, the date your favorite grandmother passed away, the date your marriage ended in divorce, the date your childhood furry friend goes to live on a farm. These dates often haunt us for years. Today however I am focusing on a good date. There are a handful of dates that warm my heart including the birth dates of my children. Today however I am thinking about the day three years ago tomorrow that forever changed my life.

October 8, 2008 is a date forever etched in my mind and heart. That was the day that I realized I had fallen in love with my best guy friend, and he with me. We had been friends for quite awhile and had known each other for several years before that. Before I ever even considered him my friend, he had saved my life, had helped with my children's health issues and had generally given me a sense of well being. I trusted him long before I called him friend, certainly long before we got "involved". I think that was how it was meant to be. I had come to a point in my life where I did not trust easily. I think God led him to our small town to work in our local health clinic and had allowed me certain health problems so that I could develop a rapport and then a friendship with Jim. He became part of our family. Did home repairs and improvements with us. Shared family dinners and movie nights. We went shopping together and just generally enjoyed each others company. Never in a million years did I think I would develop such feelings for him.

On that memorable day, Jim had let me know that he was considering taking a job in San Angelo. He had mentioned in several times before but I guess I didn't really believe he would go. On that day though, he sent me a letter that he wanted me to look over that he was considering printing in the local newspaper talking about how he had enjoyed his time in Crane and would miss all of his patients and the friendships that he had made. At the time we had been video chatting and he was watching my reaction. When I read the letter, I realized how serious he was. I fell apart and he saw me. I shut off the cam immediately and he knew something was wrong. Within minutes he was at my home to see what was going on. We agreed to sit down together that evening and figure out what was going on. After talking in the evening, we were just sitting together on the couch in total silence, holding each other. I looked into his eyes and in my mind was saying "if you just kiss me, I will know if this is real" After awhile he did and that kiss, that moment, was when I knew what home felt like. My head was spinning and I wasn't sure that I was even still sitting down, but I knew that I had found my other half. Less than a month later we were living together and starting our lives as a couple. Things haven't always been smooth, for sure, but that same sense of home is still there every time he kisses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment